Vegan Nutella Recipe
Yield: Approximately 1 cup
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk (such as almond, soy, or oat milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil (for creaminess)
- Roast Hazelnuts:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread the raw hazelnuts evenly on a baking sheet.
- Roast the hazelnuts in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until they become fragrant and the skins start to loosen.
- Remove Skins:
- Once the hazelnuts are roasted, transfer them to a clean kitchen towel.
- Fold the towel over the hazelnuts and rub them gently to remove as much of the skins as possible. Some skin residue is okay.
- Blend Hazelnuts:
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, add the roasted hazelnuts and blend on high until they turn into a smooth hazelnut butter. This might take a few minutes and you may need to scrape down the sides occasionally.
- Add Remaining Ingredients:
- Add the cocoa powder, maple syrup or agave nectar, plant-based milk, vanilla extract, and salt to the hazelnut butter in the blender or food processor.
- Optional: If you want a creamier texture, add 1-2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil at this stage.
- Blend Until Smooth:
- Blend all the ingredients together on high until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency. This might take a few more minutes of blending.
- Taste and Adjust:
- Taste the vegan Nutella and adjust the sweetness or chocolate intensity if needed. You can add more maple syrup, cocoa powder, or vanilla extract according to your preference.
- Transfer to a Jar:
- Once you’re satisfied with the taste and texture, transfer the vegan Nutella to a clean, airtight jar.
- Store the vegan Nutella in the refrigerator. It should last for about 2-3 weeks. Remember that there are no preservatives, so the fresher it is, the better it will taste.
- Vegan Nutella can be spread on toast, drizzled over pancakes or waffles, used as a dip for fruits, or even enjoyed straight from the jar!
Note: The consistency of your vegan Nutella can vary based on the power and design of your blender or food processor. If it’s too thick, you can add a bit more plant-based milk to achieve the desired texture.